Would you like to know a secret to instantly increase your likability on video calls or meetings?
It all starts with a smile. A smile conveys friendliness, approachability, and compassion. These are all qualities that we’d love to have associated with ourselves in sales, right? And yet, it’s as rare as a shooting star on virtual calls and meetings.
But to go beyond that and really create engagement and that is doing something which I call smeaking – which is smiling, plus speaking, and it’s highly contagious.
I remember the first time I saw someone do this in a Toastmasters meeting, I asked myself, “Why am I so drawn to this person?”
Likability and engagement starts with an authentic smile…then hang on to it!
- This can be as simple as having a reason to smile, because the camera is a lie detector. If you’re just pasting on a smile, it will read as phony to your audience.
- So it might be as genuine as the thought of being happy to see that other person. Greet them in a simple way such as, “Hey Bob, great to see you today. Today we’re going to talk about how we can help your sales team really achieve those goals in the coming year.”
- Start out with a smile and I hang onto the smile until a new emotion or thought comes in.
- Keep the engagement and enthusiasm through the thoughts.
- This takes practice. Every time you catch yourself starting to smile to see if you can hang on to it until a new thought comes in.
This is just one of the tips that I include in my new book that won the Gold Medal Top Sales book of 2021, Look Me In The Eye Using Video to Build Relationships with Customers, Partners and Teams. Feel free to check it out if you’re looking for more tips on how to engage customers and drive more sales on video.
Get your copy today on Amazon!